The HEINLEIN FUNERAL HOME of Logan, Ohio began around the turn of the century as OLIVER FURNITURE AND UNDERTAKING located at the corner of Spring and Main Streets. Around 1908 L.C. Yocum purchased the business and moved three doors west to the building which later was to be the home of Logan Home Furnishings. At his new location on Main Street he operated as L.C. Yocum Furniture and Undertaking.
Harry H. Heinlein joined the operation in 1919 as a partner. In 1924 the residence at 204 West Main Street
was purchased and remodeled to start Logan's First Funeral Parlor, The L.C. Yocum Funeral Home.
They continued to operate both the funeral parlor and the furniture store and in the late 1920's Mr. Yocum sold both business's to Harry H. Heinlein
and Harry's brother Porter. At that time the business names became HEINLEIN BROTHERS FUNERAL HOME and HEINLEIN BROTHERS FURNITURE.
At about this same time the Heinlein brothers purchased a farm at the corner of S.R. 93 south and Goat Run Rd.
During the depression years, times were hard so the brothers sold the furniture store,
and Harry H. Heinlein took over full operation of the funeral home while Porter took over full operation of the farm. In 1950 Lloyd J. Heinlein joined
his father Harry in the operation of Heinlein and Son Funeral Home. A new addition to the building and air conditioning
was added since more families were using the funeral home instead of using their own homes for visitation as had been the practice before.
In 1967 Lloyd Heinlein sold his interest in the funeral home to his father and moved to Colorado. Harry Heinlein operated the business until 1972 when he sold an
interest in the business to David P. Brown. On January 1, 1976 the name of the funeral home was changed
to HEINLEIN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME. Harry Heinlein passed away unexpectedly on January 19, 1976. David P. Brown purchased
the remaining interest in the funeral home from the Heinlein family and continues to operate the funeral home
under the HEINLEIN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME name. The Funeral Directors serving at HEINLEIN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME are David P. Brown, Gregory K. Brown, Randy E. Hardman and
William G. Hebblethwaite.
The HEINLEIN name remains in use at the Logan funeral home in honor of the 60 plus years that Harry H. Heinlein
and his family served the Logan, Ohio area. The Brown family is commited to continue operating the HEINLEIN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME
as a FAMILY owned and operated facility and providing quality service to the Logan, Ohio area for many years to come.
The BROWN FUNERAL HOME in Murray City, Ohio was founded on September 28, 1980 by the Brown family.
The Brown family have lived in and around the Murray City, Ohio area for many generations. The
funeral home there was started to serve the friends and neighbors of the Browns in the Murray City and
Glouster, Ohio areas. The open house for the new funeral home was held on September 28, 1980. Over the years, as the business has grown the funeral home has also grown.
The building located next to the funeral home was purchased and that building now houses
the funeral home's casket selection room having been completely redecorated in 2000. In 2002 the BROWN FUNERAL HOME interior was completely redecorated.
The funeral directors serving at the BROWN FUNERAL HOME are David P. Brown, Gregory K. Brown, Randy E. Hardman and William G. Hebblethwaite.
On July 28, 1998 Dorothy M. Brown passed away and on September 17, 1999 David W. (Bill) Brown passed away .
Both were instrumental in the founding and operation of the Brown Funeral Home. Since their deaths,
the Brown family has continued to operate the Murray City, Ohio funeral home with the same caring devotion as they
have since 1980. The Brown family is commited to continuing to serve the people of the Murray City and
Glouster, Ohio areas by keeping the funeral home family owned and operated for many years to come in memory of
Bill and Dorothy Brown.
In 1987, the Brown family started the MURRAY CITY MONUMENT COMPANY as a service to families we serve. It now operates from all three of our family owned funeral homes.
In 1996 the Brown family purchased the WARREN FUNERAL HOME in Nelsonville, Ohio from W. W. Warren Jr..
The Brown family, having been originally from the Murray City, Ohio area, had for many years a close relationship
with the Nelsonville area. In an effort to ensure that the people of Nelsonville would continue to have a choice
and to continue to be served with quality service the Brown family took over operations at the Warren funeral Home
on January 1, 1996. Wib Warren stayed with the firm in a part-time role for several years to ensure
a smooth transition before fully retiring.
The WARREN FUNERAL HOME was started in the early 1930's by W.W. Warren Sr.,
who was later joined by his son W.W. Warren Jr.. After W.W. Warren Sr.'s death, Wib continued to operate
the funeral home until selling the business in 1996. Over the past years the Brown's and the Warren's had a
close relationship, helping each other out when needed with the operation of their funeral homes. When the
funeral home changed hands in 1996 the transition was smooth in part due to the fact that the Brown's were
fimiliar with the people and the facility. Since that time, many changes have taken place, on both the interior and exterior of the building.
Complete redecorating on the inside, expanded parking outside and a redecorated casket selection room are a few of the
improvements. In addition, the MURRAY CITY MONUMENT COMPANY line of monuments have been added as a service
to the families that we serve at Nelsonville. The funeral directors serving Nelsonville at the WARREN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME are David P. Brown, Gregory K. Brown, Randy E. Hardman and William G. Hebblethwaite.
The funeral home is now known as the WARREN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME, leaving the Warren name in honor
of the many years of hard work and service to Nelsonville by the Warren family.
The Brown family is committed to providing quality service at reasonable prices to our friends and neighbors
in Nelsonville and the surrounding area, remaining a family owned and operated funeral home for many years to come.
Milestones include David P. Brown and family purchased shares in the HEINLEIN FUNERAL HOME in 1972, which is now known as the HEINLEIN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME...
purchasing the remaining shares of HEINLEIN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME in 1976... starting the BROWN FUNERAL HOME in Murray City, Ohio in 1980... started the MURRAY CITY MONUMENT COMPANY in 1987...
In 1989 the outside of the HEINLEIN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME in Logan was renovated... In 1994 the Brown family purchased the KNOLLWOOD CEMETERY just west of Logan, Ohio...
In 1996 the Brown Family purchased the WARREN FUNERAL HOME in Nelsonville, Ohio which is now known as the WARREN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME...
in 1999 the interior of the WARREN-BROWN FUNERAL HOME was redecorated... and in 2002 the BROWN FUNERAL HOME interior was completely redecorated.
RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE